I am unsatisfied of the state of programming editors. At the moment there is no editor that suits all my needs. Don’t get me wrong there are several great text editors out there:
- Emacs – The most powerful text editing system ever created
- Scribes – A simply and nevertheless powerful.
- Peppy – A simpler Emacs in Python
but no one works perfect for me.
Emacs for example has different short cuts than most other software (Yeah, I know you can change that), Schribes only works on Linux, etc.
Designing A New Experience
After searching and experimenting for the perfect editor, I was thinking: “Why not writing a new one?”. After all there is a lot to learn. At first I was thinking about the widget toolkit and features. Then is struck me. Designing from scratch means thinking beyond technical details.
I want a new editing experience:
- I want to learn from web apps like Remember The Milk and GMail
- I want to streamline the experience, there should be nothing that gets in your way
- The interface should be gorgeous. I think that is not emphasized enough in most editors.
- The editor should speed you up. Think snippets, call tips, auto completion, etc.
- The editor shall be lean.
Then I started experimenting with code…