For version 0.02 I have the following features in mind:
- A simple help system, that shows you the most important features in a consistent way
- A snippet system like the ones from Textmate and Scribes. Probably I will steal most of the code from Scribes. Mysteelef’s snippet system is just awesome.
- Auto – Indentation hast to be build, especially for Python programming. I think IDLE is working quite fine with Python 🙂 The other languages will become a simpler auto-indentation system.
- A way to load a file via command line in one instance of the editor.
- Right now the status messages in the status bar are only dummies. I will have to find a way of refresh the state of the status bar.
- I want some kind of recent files dialog. Simular to the recent files dialog of Emacs. I think wxPython doesn’t provide any facilities for that, so I have to write it by my self.
- Intelligent logging of events and properties. That point needs a lot of thought, what do I want to track, maybe the size of the window, etc.
- Auto braces. Here again I will borrow a lot from Scribes. The way the braces work in Scribes is just gorgeous.
- Better highlighting. Gonzales needs more highlighting files for languages different from Python
- Develop ideas for shortcuts – I have to think about the best use of shortcuts. This is a crucial part of the user experience. A lot of nice ideas can be found on http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html.
That’s it for version 0.02. It is a awful lot of work 🙂 But I think after version 0.02 is finished Gonzales could be usable for simple programming tasks.